Blacksburg police to arrest two more in connection with Holmes’ fight

CHRISTIANSBURG - Virginia Tech sophomore tailback Michael Holmes had his arraignment continued Monday and Blacksburg Police have obtained arrest warrants for two more people in the connection with the fight Sunday morning that led to the charges against Holmes.

Lt. Nathan O’Dell said Monday that Blacksburg police have obtained warrants for two other individuals who will be charged with assault and battery. One, Ciara Monet Simms, 20, has already been arrested. She is a sophomore sprinter on the Virginia Tech track and field team.

O’Dell said the fight started as a verbal altercation between a female companion of Holmes’ and two other females in a parking lot. It escalated to a physical altercation between the women and was joined by Holmes and another male.

That male sustained injuries that sent him to the hospital Sunday and led to Holmes’ being charged with felony malicious wounding because the “injuries were sufficient to warrant that charge,” O’Dell said.

O’Dell said no weapons were used in the fight, “just hands and feet.”
Holmes’ attorney, Jimmy Turk, was at the court and met with six people, including Holmes’ younger brother, Weylin.
Turk said he would be filing with the court to get Holmes released on bond. The 19 year old has been held without bail since his arrest early Sunday on two charges of simple assault and one felony charge of malicious wounding.

A bond hearing is set for Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. for Holmes, according to the court’s website.
Blacksburg police said the charges stem from a fight they responded to on the 200 block of College Avenue at 1:50 a.m. Sunday. One victim was taken to LewisGale Medical Center and two others were treated at the scene.
A source said the hospitalized victim “walked out of the hospital that night.”
Per university policy regarding felony charges, Holmes is suspended from the football team.

Virginia Tech athletic director Jim Weaver released this statement Monday: “Virginia Tech running back Michael Holmes is immediately suspended indefinitely from the football team

in conjunction with University Policy 1035.”